Thursday, July 19, 2012

20 WEEKS!!!

                   HALFWAY THERE!!!!!!


It is hard to believe that we are at 20 weeks already.  It seemed like it took forever at the beginning to get to the next week but now time is just cruising by.

Baby this week:  The baby is about 6 1/2 inches long and about 10oz which is about the size of a banana.  The baby is working on swallowing by swallowing amniotic fluid and it is working on producing meconium which will accumulate into its first bowl movement (which hopefully is after the birth).

One exciting thing that happened this week (actually last night) is that Mike got to feel the baby.  I always have him put his hand on my belly when I feel the baby move just in case.  Well last night, it was really doing some crazy acrobatics so I had him put his hand there and tell me if he felt anything.  We were watching TV and he turned his head (after a bigger movement) and said I think I felt something...and I said yep it just moved big time.  He asked me, "Are you sure it wasn't that your stomach just spasmed?"  I said, "No, babe...that's the baby!"  So out of about 20 movements, he only felt two...but it was still an amazing experience for both of us :)

                                              Here is my 20 week picture!



So, I have ALWAYS wanted to deliver naturally (no epidural, or any other pain relievers, etc) which is why we are going with a midwife.  When talking to people who have had children, I get a little nervous about being able to handle the pain.  Then I have talked to a couple people who have given birth without the epidural and I get some confidence back.  I went to the Eau Claire Public Library yesterday while it was raining to check out some books on natural childbirth.  I got one, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Natural Childbirth, and I have already gained so much more confidence in being able to do it.  I was also recommended a book and class called Hypnobirthing which really focuses on your breathing while pregnant and through all stages of labor.  I think the biggest thing that I have learned is that if you have fear of the unknown (which I do because I have never given birth before) that it is important to learn the unknown (which I am currently doing).  I have learned that being focused on the natural stages your body takes in childbirth and going with those stages whether its walking, using a ball, squatting, using a tub, etc, all of those can help move the birthing process along more quickly then being scared, fearful, or getting pain relievers which cause you to stay in a lying down position...which can prolong labor.  The other thing I have learned is that if you focus on your breathing and what your body needs you to be doing, you are able to relax better in-between contractions instead of just focusing on the pain which makes the pain even worse.  I'm not degrading those who have used an epidural at all, I'm just learning all of these things for my own benefit and confidence in creating an exciting and enjoyable birth story!  SO, if anyone is interested in sharing your own natural birth story, I would love to hear about it whether you post a comment below or email me (kel.giedd@gmail.com) or facebook message, or whatever!

ULTRASOUND AND SHOWER/DIAPER PARTY INFO!!!

We have our 20 week ultrasound on Monday!  We are very excited to see Baby G again.  I cannot believe it has been 9 weeks since we have seen our little peanut on the screen.  We are praying that all goes well and the doctor tells us that everything looks good and healthy!  

We will have the ultrasound tech put what the gender is into an envelop and seal it up and send it to my friends that are planning our baby shower.  They will be the only ones that know what Baby G is until the shower/diaper party which is SEPTEMBER 22 (mark it in your calendars)!  They will then decorate the church basement to whatever our little one is... so either in blue or in pink.  Mike and I will greet the guests at the door where you will decide if you think that baby is a boy or girl and put it into a container.  You will then head to the basement to find out!  After all the guests have arrived, then Mike and I will head to the basement and find out with all of you what our peanut is!  After we eat any of the men can head to our new house (still being finalized) to drink some beer and play some games.  After some girly "baby" games and presents any women can head over as well for the rest of the evening/night.  We will have a campfire later and anyone that needs or would like to stay will be more than welcome.  In order to get a cup for the keg, you will need to bring a package of diapers or wipes for Baby G.

We are currently registered at Target and Kohls!

No comments:

Post a Comment